Music ‘ s glitterati will sparkle on the red carpet at this Sunday’ s Grammy awards, which honors the top hits and artists of the year .
Scandal at the Recording Academy , which puts on the show , has overwhelmed the lead – up to the glam event, but there are still plenty of musical moments to watch for .
Here is our quick guide to the event, which will take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles :
Nigeria’ s Burna Boy
The question on the lips of afrobeats fans across the world is: will Burna Boy win the prestigious Grammy award tomorrow (Sunday)?
The Nigerian singer ’s last album, ‘ African Giant’ was nominated in the World Music Album category of the 62 nd Grammy Awards.
Born Damini Ogulu , Burna Boy has had a remarkable career, especially in the past one year .
In 2019 , the singer was the recipient of several coveted awards including Best International Act at the BET Awards.
Subscribe for free to our YouTube videos and channel via this link below:
In anticipation of the awards ceremony , fans and well – wishers of the singer have taken to the streets of Twitter to declare him a winner.
- Women poised to lead –
Women dominated at last year’ s gala and are leading the pack this year as well , with the twerking flautist Lizzo and the teenage goth – pop phenomenon Billie Eilish expected to battle for the top awards.
- The Academy has long come under fire for failing to recognize women and people of color .
- So in recent years , it expanded the nominee field from five to eight in the major four categories : Album of the Year , Song of the Year , Record of the Year and Best New Artist .
- Both Lizzo and Eilish are nominated for all of the “big four ” prizes.
- Other female frontrunners vying for Grammys gold include Lana Del Rey – – whose 2019 album was considered by many critics as the best of the year – – and R&B prodigy H. E . R. , who is up for five awards and last year won two .
- Pop sensation Ariana Grande is also among the top nominees , while flamenco revivalist Rosalia , up for Best New Artist , could become a rare Spanish – language winner in the general categories .
- Generational shift –
Lizzo, Eilish and Lil Nas X are the top three contenders of the night with a combined age of 69 – a figure once closer to the average age of just one veteran star that would dominate the night .
- The generational shift could mark a new era for the Recording Academy , which has long favored older pop and rock mainstays .
- Eilish, who first gained fame online , was just 17 when the nominations were announced, making her the youngest artist ever to be up for all four top Grammy awards .
- Her songwriting partner and brother Finneas, 22 , meanwhile has five chances at Grammys glory .
- Fans are expecting a rager of a performance from Lizzo , who routinely slings back tequila from the bottle onstage.
- Fashion watchers will also be on red alert for the boisterous star ‘ s latest ensemble – – she donned a fluffy, hot pink Marc Jacobs jacket to this year ‘ s Met Gala , which she proudly wore as she strutted through a New York airport the morning after .
- Old Town Road’ all- stars –
Lil Nas X, the brain behind the year ‘ s ubiquitous earworm “Old Town Road,” will take the stage to perform a pumped – up rendition of his country – trap smash.
- His Grammy co- nominee for Record of the Year , Billy Ray Cyrus – – who lent the song country – world street cred when Nashville snubbed it – – will join him on stage, as will the eclectic DJ Diplo and K-pop mega stars BTS .
- The video – sharing app TikTok propelled the young rapper to fame – – his song went viral and ultimately broke the record for the longest stretch atop the Billboard hot songs chart at 19 weeks.
- The genre – bending mega – hit was removed from Billboard ‘ s country music charts early last year – – which critics alleged was industry white – washing as the artist is black .
- Lil Nas X is bound to impress on the red carpet; the rapper is known for his campy Western outfits complete with fringe, vests or hats in garish colors .
- Barring none –
Two artists who faced major legal troubles in 2019 – – Meek Mill and 21 Savage – – are up for Best Rap Album .
- Mill ended his controversial legal saga in August after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge dating back more than a decade – – a move that lifted the probation he dealt with for most of his adult life .
- The plea deal , which saw additional charges against Mill dropped , resolved a case that had become a flashpoint in the national debate over the US criminal justice system ‘ s treatment of black people .
- 21 Savage was meanwhile arrested just before last year ‘ s Grammys gala in his hometown Atlanta , with US immigration agents saying he had been living stateside illegally since overstaying a visa that expired in 2006, when he was a minor.
- The shock arrest surprised fans , who discovered the rapper – – strongly associated with the southern capital of hip- hop – – was in fact born in Britain.
- Nipsey Hussle tribute –
Mill – along with artists including DJ Khaled, John Legend and Roddy Ricch – – will perform a tribute to the late rapper Nipsey Hussle , who is posthumously up for three awards after losing out on Best Rap Album to Cardi B in 2019 .
- The Eritrean- American born Ermias Asghedom was shot dead last March at age 33 in broad daylight , triggering an outpouring of grief in Los Angeles and among Hussle’ s superstar peers, who hailed both his musical talents and tireless community organizing .
- Both Legend and Khaled are up for a Grammy with Hussle for ” Higher ,” a collaboration released after the rapper’ s death.
- Long part of the underground rap circuit , Hussle struggled to find fame but began selling his own mixtapes.
- Hip – hop royalty Jay – Z once bought 100 of them – – for $100 each .
Share this story
Share your story with us:sms-+2348107564051, WhatsApp – +2348055459181 – Email – email@example.com
DON’T MISS OUT!! ON BREAKING NEWS AND TRENDING TOPICS
Get important updates via e-mail for free, you can unsubscribe anytime
Remember:Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Advertise with us. Send us enquiries , press release.
You can also visit our YouTube channel/YouTube.com/Loudspeaker4naija Tv