Shock and panic went through the viens of residents of Olatunde onimole street aguda surulere area of Lagos State ,as a gas explosion occurred at a popular mechanics workshop opposite census market on 2 March 2019 .
The explosion which occurred around 12 pm noon was a result of carelessness on the part of the owner of the gas store.
According to eye-witness and shop owners in the workshop premises ,the landlord of the mechanic workshop rented a shop space that a gas retaller against the advice of the other shop owners who claims that since they deal with materials that produce fire like wedding machine etc , having a gas stove in close proximity is not a good ideal .
The accident happened when the gas filler left his gas opentap open bear a weather , and about to fill two gas tank at a time.
This resuited in an explosion that burnt the almost part of shops , destroying several properties like cars , bikes , hairsylist shop , materials worth millions of naira , luckily there were no lives lost .
Swift response from Lagos State fire service and help of the surulere local government stopped the the spread of the fire .